POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray 3.5 & VS.NET 2003 : Re: POV-Ray 3.5 & VS.NET 2003 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 06:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.5 & VS.NET 2003
From: Ryan Lamansky
Date: 17 Mar 2004 09:57:13
Message: <40586749$1@news.povray.org>
Though I have a strong undestanding of C++ syntax, I have minimal experience
(C# is my specialty).

Over the past two years I have seen nearly all praise toward VS.NET's C++
implementation paired with an equal amount of criticism.  Even though I'm
not very experienced with it, I trust in the opinions of so many others.

I want to be good at C++, as it has some important advantages over C#.  A
big part of my reasons for modifying POV 3.5 to work with VS.NET 2003 is to
start building up my C/C++ experience.  I have since spent a lot of time
studying the code.  (I think the x_FIELDS-style macros are
brilliant--they're used to provide a degree of object-oriented programming
in C.)  I've already had some ideas for performance optimizations, but I'll
need to gain a better understanding of the big picture before I can safely
try anything.

-Ryan